Re: pinhole Nake Mole Rats

From: karenk@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 13:38:28 PDT

From: karenk@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Nake Mole Rats
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:38:21 US/Pacific

Hello, Melissa and fellow pinhole folks,

While naked mole rats are truly one of my favorite animals - I keep bringing them up as a
possible life sciences exhibit -- I recommend not taking them on as pets.

As you probably know, they're social animals with a group structure similar to the social
insects. They're desert creatures, and require large areas for interconnected burrows
complete with sleeping, toilet, and food storage chambers. They really need to be part of

a colony, rather than just coexisting with one or two individuals. And they need
darkness.

If you haven't seen the documentary movie "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control" do rent it.
It
came out about maybe 5 years ago, and tells the tales of 4 different men who are totally
dedicated to/obsessed by their professions/avocations. One is a lion tamer, another an
expert in topiary, a third designs robots that travel to Mars, and the fourth is a
photographer who studies and is obsessed by naked mole rats --- lots of good footage
and info in it, and very entertaining.

Enjoy!

----Karen
Kalumuck

This message was sent using Exploratorium web mail
           http://www.exploratorium.edu/