Re: pinhole acetylene

From: George Fosselius (gfossel@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 19:14:00 PDT

From: "George Fosselius" <gfossel@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole acetylene
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:14:00 -0700

What will happen to the acetylene at high pressures??
> Yibsmith@hotmail.com

It can DETONATE.
It is stored in those cylinders at 600 psi, but the cylinder contains straw
and, if I remember rightly, acetone. These are to keep the free space(es) in
the cylinder at a minimum. So the detonation cannot progagate. Acetylene
cylinders must be stored upright (and with the required strap/chain as
required for all pressurized gas cylinders.)

I once reacted acetylene at 600 psi with a Co-Zn-Co catalyst, trying to make
cyclooctatetraene, but all I got was VERY EXPENSIVE benzene. We built a
reactor in an explosion-proof bunker with remote controls.
Ah, the joys of commercial research budgets! I probably spent more that 3
months than the entire 33 years of high school science teaching.
Be safe.
George Fosselius