Online course software WebCT

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@esuhsd.org)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 12:53:12 PDT

Subject: Online course software WebCT
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:53:12 -0700
From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@esuhsd.org>

Deb,
I just used WebCT for a pilot new science teacher e-mentoring program through UCSC.
WebCT, like anything I guess, has good and bad points. It has potential to track everything and do threaded messages and eat up time...

I had a miserable time getting aquainted with it...it has so many layers that most of us didn't know where to find things or who we were posting to. It is difficult to use with attachments and has no way to save a partial posting to complete at a later time. I have to admit (though I consider myself pretty good at getting around my computer, emailing and the net) the younger teachers had much less problems than those of us born before there were PC's in classrooms....In short, most of us felt it was overkill for a program that would probably work better using simple email.

 I do have a younger colleague who has used WebCT for coursework, and he said he also battled with it regularly.

Heidi Strahm Black
Science Fair Coordinator
East Side Union HSD
408-347-6563