calcium

From: Ellen Koivisto (igneous@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 15:27:39 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:27:39 -0700
Subject: calcium
From: Ellen Koivisto <igneous@earthlink.net>

My doctor told me recently that, as I'm now 40, I should start taking
calcium supplements. I've been thinking this over and have a few
questions. Too much calcium causes kidney stones. Most American women
don't get enough calcium in their diets, but what about teachers who
work with chalk boards? I come home covered in chalk dust, and I know
I breathe a fair amount of it. I've heard all sorts of teacher stories
about white lung disease. I realize calcium carbonate isn't very
soluble, but it breaks apart well in hydrochloric acid, which is what's
in our stomachs....

OK, the question is, do teachers who work with chalk get enough calcium
in from their work? And if you are a teacher swimming in chalk and you
take calcium supplements, are you taking in too much calcium?

Weird question, I know, but it's summer.

Ellen Koivisto
SOTA, SF