light and pigments

From: Mark Lawton (markslawton@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 15:55:49 PDT

From: "Mark Lawton" <markslawton@hotmail.com>
Subject: light and pigments
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:55:49 -0700

1) I assume that when two pigments mix they do not form a new compound. For
example, blue paint and yellow paint will create green paint. The mixture
(which is not a compound) still reflects blue light and yellow light and our
eyes interpret these two frequencies as green. Is that right?

2) Assuming the above description is correct: When I see a green leaf in
nature am I seeing two frequencies at once (blue and yellow) or is the leaf
reflecting a single frequency?

3) An acquantaince of mine is talking a lot about complimentary colors and
the color wheel. What is the a physical basis of the fact that two color
compliments will make "neutral grey"?

Mark Lawton
Currently in Santa Fe studying classics