pH meter technology

From: Tim/Joan Merrill (tmerrill@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 12:07:56 PDT

From: "Tim/Joan Merrill" <tmerrill@hotmail.com>
Subject: pH meter technology
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:07:56 +0000

        One of my engineer friends is curious how a pH meter accomplishes its task:
what's in the electrode; what is(are) the reaction(s) involved and what
produces the electrical signal; why is rinsing off the electrode judged
sufficient to avoid cross-contamination of samples (I seem to see a hole
through which SOMETHING could pass and get stuck)?
        Anyone out there familiar with the nitty-gritty of these meters?

        Thanks for your time,
        Tim Merrill