Re: pinhole Conceptual Physics Curriculum

From: PamellaFerris@comcast.net
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 06:56:06 PDT

From: PamellaFerris@comcast.net
Subject: Re: pinhole Conceptual Physics Curriculum
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:56:06 +0000

Aaron,
Columbia County Schools started teaching Conceptual Physics in the 9th grade for
the first time last year. The county requires Conceptual Physics in the 9th
grade, Biology in the 10th, and Chemistry(or Conceptual Chemistry) in the 11th
grade. We realize that it should have been Physics, Chemistry then Biology, but
logistically this was impossible since there would have been an entire year
(the second year of implementation) without any Biology courses being taught
(Almost half of our teachers are Biology certified and would not have been
certified to teach either the Physics or the Chemistry - nor would they have
wanted to). So you fight one battle at a time!

The "gifted" students (those who had algebra in the 8th grade) still start in
Biology then take chemistry and a Trig/Calculus based Physics their Junior year.
They sign a contract agreeing to that sequence.

The main difference from the old sequence is that in the past we had Physical
Science(required) in the 9th grade, Biology(required) in the 10th and any
science for their 3rd year. Many of our students graduated with Physical
Science, Biology and Environmental Science (or another Life Science), having had
only a half a year of physics and a half a year of chemistry. Now it is required
for all of the students graduating from our county to have a full year of
Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. The state (GA) has not changed their requirements.

A Trig/Calculus based Physics and AP B, which they can take their Senior year
when/if they are in the appropriate math level are still offered. We don't
anticipate this hurting the enrollment for either of those courses. We actually
anticipate this will encourage more students to take the higher level Physics as
Seniors.

Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt is the book we use for both our college prep
and tech prep 9th graders. It is a wonderful text and our kids are experiencing
a great deal of success.

Pamella Ferris