First Day or First Week Metrics Game

From: Andreski, Martha (andreskim@dlshs.org)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 14:25:29 PDT

Subject: First Day or First Week Metrics Game
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:25:29 -0700
From: "Andreski, Martha" <andreskim@dlshs.org>

Something fun and educational (and a good sleep-deterrant) I've done for 20+ years is to play the "Metric Price Is Right". If you know the Price is Right tv gameshow, the difference is that as you hold up an item you ask for it's mass or volume or length and the students guess in g or ml or cm, etc. Then you verify the value, and while doing so show them proper techniques on how to operate the balance, how to read a meniscus, how to record using sig figs, etc. I usually have one student from each row stand at the board; everyone in the row is on their "team" - (cover up answers with paper taped to the board) - they love to shout out answers; it's fun and educational. For the first mass you hold up (let's say it's a crucible) the guesses will be wild. The second one will have a small percent error - proving that they use comparison skills and are developing a true metrics sense! I love it as well - there's little prep and cleanup and you can do this anytime you have an extra 5 minutes in the class. I'm
 wondering if I did it every week all year if they could ever be off by more than 5%! Enjoy. Let me know what you think and how it worked for you!

Marti Andreski
andreskim@dlshs.org