Re: Showing a computer on a TV

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 01:38:45 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:38:45 -0700
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Showing a computer on a TV

Gary said:

>In fact, what you suggest is exactly what we first did. (I'm
>sorry I didn't explain that in the initial email, but I didn't want to
>drag on too much) As your research says, the apple website indicates
>that a $19.00 adapter allows emacs to connect with TV's. We bought the
>product and was surprised that what we had was actually a mini-VGA to
>VGA adapter. So we can now connect the eMac to a VGA monitor (as long
>as it is about 4 inches away from the eMac!)
>
>Connecting from a VGA to a TV appears to be the real problem, and apple
>couldn't help us with that. I love Apple but lately these false
>promises of theirs are darn...well....Gates-like!

I don't know what the documentation for the eMac looks like but it should
have told you that your eMac came with an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics
processor card.

This card puts out three types of signals: VGA, composite video, and S-video.

A VGA monitor is NOT a TV set.

For a TV set, you need two things:

1. A TV set that accepts composite video output or,
   better yet supposedly, S-video output.

2. Apple's VIDEO adapter (NOT Apple's VGA Display adapter).

Take the adapter back to whomever you bought it from and ask them for the
Apple VIDEO adapter. Don't take no for an answer. It's the VIDEO adapter
you want.

The ATI Radeon graphics card's output depends on the adapter connected to
it. If it's Apple's VGA Display adapter then the card puts out a signal
appropriate for a VGA monitor. If it's Apple's Video adapter, then it's
output is a signal that you can send to a TV set, a video recorder, or a
video projector

We have an apple and oranges situation here. You normally don't go around
"Connecting from a VGA to a TV" - the pin-outs are different for one thing.

By the way, how does the output of the VGA monitor look using your present
adapter? and what is it about the monitor that makes the TV set a better
choice for you?

I hope this will be the last time you'll have to address this particular
subject. I'm quite sure it's taken up too much of your time already.

ron