Re: spud launcher

From: ROY MAYEDA (roymayeda@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 05:44:40 PDT

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 05:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: ROY MAYEDA <roymayeda@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: spud launcher

Hi Joe.

I've not used a "spud launcher" myself. I'm not sure
what set-up you're using exactly, but problems with
inconsistent projectile launches from barreled
launchers usually stem from either differences in
friction between the various projectiles and barrel or
(more commonly?) inconsistent pressure patterns while
the projectile is being accelerated. You may reduce
the first by putting some type of sabot around the
projectile that would give you the same interaction
with the barrel on each run. For the second, be sure
that the projectile is seated to the same depth each
time. Whether you are burning a fuel or discharging a
compressed gas, that should help to produce more
consistent pressures. Other than that, I guess you
have to accept the limitations in consistency. (A
"spud launcher" will probably not shoot "minute of
angle".) :-) Have fun. Stay safe.

Roy Mayeda
Wheaton, MN
Teacher-at-Large