Navigation and Maps of Polynesia

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 15:33:12 PDT

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Navigation and Maps of Polynesia

Last summer I was talking to someone at the
Exploratorium about maps woven from sticks and coconut
fiber. Couldn't remember the source, but I found it in
the Exploratorium Quarterly, Spring, 1991. The maps
describe wave and wind patterns and allow people to
navigate using this knowledge and knowledge of how the
oceans geography disturbs these patterns. It's pretty
amazing. Another example of how creative and brilliant
people are in this world.
Worth a look if you are working on oceanography or
navigation. If you can't make it to the Exploratorium
to check out the issue, but are interested, email me
and I'll send you a copy.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh