Customs and sand

From: Ben Pittenger (benpittenger@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 06:08:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:08:50 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Ben Pittenger <benpittenger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Customs and sand

I like asking students to bring back sand from far places when they go on vacation. In the past it has not been a problem.

Recently a student and parent voiced concern about bringing sand back in through customs. I looked on the US Customs website and did not find any prohibition. I called customs but could not reach anyone. (This was a particularly frustrating effort since the recording said noone was available, but I could hold for an operator. Next, another recording came on saying no operator was available! I think budget cuts have long since gotten out of hand.)

I certainly don't want to get a student in trouble. Do any of you know of any reason why students or their parents would be put in legal jeopardy by trying to bring sand back into the country? Or do any of you know of a particular event when sand was deemed contraband?

Thanks,
Ben Pittenger