electromagnetism

From: kaydubyou@earthlink.net
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 03:55:36 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:55:36 -0400
Subject: electromagnetism
From: <kaydubyou@earthlink.net>

In trying to show magnetism in an electric circuit, I'm not succeeding,
except with the compass which isn't enough of a show for elementary.

What am I doing wrong in these 2 demos?

1. bare copper wire connected to D cell. Book says it'll align iron filings
sprinkled on paper above the connected circuit. But no magnetic fields
show in my substitute steel wool "dust," those tiny pieces that fall out.
Individual staples work no better. 2 D cells in series: no change.

2. Any magnetism at all? If I try to see if the wire attracts any of this
stuff -- nothing, no attraction there at all.

Is this substitute for iron filings too heavy? Any suggestions to really
show magnetism in a circuit?

Thanks, Karen W.