Re: pinhole total thermal energy question

From: Christopher Reese (creese@seq.org)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 07:28:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:28:34 -0700
From: "Christopher Reese" <creese@seq.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole total thermal energy question

Temperature is a measure of the AVERAGE kinetic energy of an
atom/molecule in a substance. That average equates to a certain
temperature. The total thermal energy is based on how much of a
substance. You are right about KE times how many molecules. But the
total has a lot to do with how much. Paul Hewitt uses the example of a
cup of hot coffee and an iceberg. The coffee has more average KE
(higher temp), but the iceberg has more total energy because there is so
much more of it, although each individual molecule has less average
KE.

I hope this helps

Christopher Reese
Science Teacher
Woodside High School
199 Churchill Ave
Woodside, CA 94062
www.seq.org/~creese
650-367-9750 x8660

>>> stf-lmorton@vom.com 10/23/03 03:51PM >>>
Pinholers,
In my 8th grade physical science class yesterday I was trying describe
the difference between temperature and total thermal energy. If the
total thermal energy is equal to, or proportional to, the product of
the
number of atoms times the kinetic energy of the atoms, how does this
effect the total for those objects that are at a fraction of 1 Kelvin?
Any help for myself or my curious 8th grader?
Lou Morton
St. Francis Solano School