plasma

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 14:46:13 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:46:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: plasma

I was talking to Hong Tran today about some questions
I had about plasma, as the fourth state of matter. I
kind of imagined plasma as being some form of
extention the gas phase, but that troubled me a
little. Our standard "Matter Triangle" seems to have
nicely defined phase changes, freezing, melting,
evaporating...etc, but now when I see a neon sign it
only seems to read "You really don't understand this
plasma stuff, do you?".
This all started whenI showed my kids a short cd-rom
that included about 6 minutes on plasma as the most
common form of matter, but I can't say I was prepared
to answer their questions about whether plasma made
our triangle of solid-liquid-gas into a "matter
rectangle" solid-liquid-gas-plasma (in which how do
you describe phase change from plasma (deionization?)
and can plasma change directly to a solid?).
So I leave it up to you good folks. Educate me as my
"Make Your Own Star Kit" hasn't arrived and my
continual attempts to force Hydrogen together in a
vise have failed.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh