sublimation

From: Sue Lowder (sdlowder@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 19:51:18 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:51:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Sue Lowder <sdlowder@yahoo.com>
Subject: sublimation

Today my Honors Earth Science class was discussing changes of state. I brought up the idea that much of the snow sublimes. Why would some of the snow sublime, while some of the snow melts? What is happening? Why do carbon dioxide and iodine sublime while other substances melt? Does it have to do with intermolecular bonds? Thanks for the help with this topic.

Sue Lowder

Physics, Chemistry and Earth Science Teacher
Truckee High School
Truckee, California
Fulbright Exchange Teacher 2001-2002