Re: pinhole ionic compounds

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 14:27:44 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:27:44 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole ionic compounds

Neil --

But you can get two machined metals together class enough to fuse and
become one seamless piece of metal -- isn't this called cold welding?
I know metals are much stronger & less brittle, so that they can be
compressed, but I thought that you could actually have metals fuse
just be pressing them together, provided that each surface was
machined & polished to a high enough degree.

What's the difference between the two cases, or is my recollection wrong?

-- Geoff