science tombstones

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 11:56:33 PST

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:56:33 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: science tombstones

Happy Holidays to all science teachers.

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:56:24 -0800

Tombstones for Scientists
 (originated by John Hubisz, North Carolina State)

Here lies Isaac Newton - A body at rest tends to stay at rest.

Here lies Euclid - or at least his elements.

Here lies Heisenberg - maybe. If we indeed know precisely where
      he was, we would not know where he is going.

Here lies Fermat - There isn't room enough for a proper epitaph.

Here lies Clausius - maximizing his entropy.

Here lies Albert Einstein - but his rest mass keeps decreasing.

Here lies Erwin Schrodinger - but without opening the casket, we can't be
      sure he's dead.

Here lies J. Willard Gibbs - undergoing a phase change.

Here lies Amedeo Avogadro - damn those moles!

Here lies Antoine Lavoisier - he should have stuck to Chemistry,
      but lost his head over taxes.

Here lies Pierre Curie - don't worry, it's a reflected glow.

Here lies Niels Bohr - now in the ground state.

Here lies Irving Langmuir - no longer a Surface Chemist.

                                                 Not Quite Scientists

Here lies Beethoven - he's "decomposing".

Here lies a lawyer and an honest man - two people are buried here.