Re: pinhole physics and biology urban legends

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 16:27:19 PST

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:27:19 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole physics and biology urban legends

Paul,

Here are some additional myths:

1. Water in a drain in the northern hemisphere goes clockwise and
vice versa, because of the Corealis effect.

2. Ice skates work b/c they put enough pressure under the skate
blades to melt the ice and therefore let the skates slide.

3. This one is perhaps not a myth, but I think the term is wrong:
there is no such 'force' as 'centripetal force' -- it's
gravitational or tensional force that pull in an object towards the
center.

- Geoff