Exploratorium Symposium

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 14:01:51 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:01:51 -0800
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Exploratorium Symposium

Hi gang! A great opportunity for free tickets! --Karen K

Dear science lovers,

The Exploratorium would be happy to offer all high school science teachers
and staff free tickets to a provocative symposium on the wild frontiers of
biotechnology.

To reserve their free tickets, interested people should e-mail
julies@exploratorium.edu by Wednesday, 2/18 at 3 p.m.

Titled "Animate (In)animate: Engineering at the Threshold of Life," the
day-long symposium addresses how advances in engineering are giving rise to
technologies that can almost be qualified as being alive. Rivaling science
fiction in terms of sheer inventiveness, these emerging technologies have
sparked heated debate over how humans re-appropriate life and what ethical
concerns we should pose to these largely unregulated technologies.

We offer this symposium as a window for public inquiry, as well as a forum
where people can deepen their understanding of "near life" and "semi-living"
technologies beyond the hopes, fears, and outdated paradigms we bring to
biologic and technologic hybrids.

Among the technologies showcased are: Organ printing, nanotechnology,
tissue-engineered art, viral manufacturing, cell mimetic space technology,
DNA computing, and more!

Please join us as an expert panel of researchers, artists, and visionaries
from around the world share their innovations and address the vision and
values that drive these technologies, as well as their potential impacts.

ANIMATE (IN)ANIMATE: ENGINEERING AT THE THRESHOLD OF LIFE
Saturday, February 21, 2004
Cowell Theater, Fort Mason Center
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

To learn more, please visit: