Re: pinhole sound vacuum

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 22:50:31 PST

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:50:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: pinhole sound vacuum
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu

Hi Damon

I would put a ringing alarm clock with a bell in a vacuum chamber together
with a recording tape recorder (I've actually done this) It helps to
suspend the alarm clock from thin string to keep the sound from travelling
through the metal of the platform to the recorder. You could also suspend
the recorder.

Record the bell, turn on the vacuum pump, pump down the jar, turn off the
pump keeping the low pressure, near vacuum in the bell, and record the
bell again. It will be much quieter with the near vacuum.

The human ear is so good at detecting faint sopunds that you probably
cannot produce total quiet, but it's still a good demo, with an excellent
vacuum pump you could produce quiet.

Paul D