Re: Pinhole Digest #1450 - 03/08/04

From: D. Le (diep1203@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 10:28:08 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From: "D. Le" <diep1203@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1450 - 03/08/04

Hi Becca,

In response to using physics and climbing: You have maybe already thought of this, but a model of the forces exerted on a climber/rope when s/he falls on lead vs. on toprope or seconding might be good. Should also reinforce the safety issues to the Ss. Maybe use a little doll or figurine with a rope. If applicable, or not too boring for the Ss, how a lead rope (vs. a static toprope) is dynamic in order to absorb the forces.

Maybe too abstract, but simple force diagrams of the forces exerted on an anchor, as well, and how equalizing is better than shockloading individual anchors.

Helmet safey: yelling "rock!" even if the rock is small is important because of the acceleration of the rock from higher up (and of course the possibility of dislodging other rocks)-- and what would that acceleration be? This might be an intro to acceleration, wind resistance, etc.

Friction: Before and/or after climbing and reviewing smearing vs. edging, can discuss how friction is enough to hold a climber up and how more contact surface area generally means more stability.

Footwork: if you will be discussing footwork much, then the physics, very simple, of counterbalance (e.g. flagging your foot) to traverse or move up. Demoing yourself and having Ss try a move as well.

If you plan on taking them snowboarding, you can talk about torque and turning of the board and putting weight on the front edges of the board when carving. Again, in addition to force diagrams, a doll might be helpful, boarding on a mound of slushie/snow. If you want to do experiments, all other factors being equal, will a longer board be faster than a shorter board? Heavier person vs. lighter person on same board--what effects? They can construct their own experiments in this. "Design a faster board" contest?

Hope these are helpful and somewhat applicable,
Diep

ORIGINAL POSTING: