Pi Day at the Explo!

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 12:38:34 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:38:34 -0800
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Pi Day at the Explo!

Dear teachers,

Save room for dessert because Pi Day is coming! This Sunday, March 14 at
the Exploratorium, we invite you to partake in our home-baked annual
celebration of the number Pi. (3.14...hence, March 14)

Filled with films, a procession, festivities, and songs, Pi Day tops off
with a ritual pie-eating event, with more varieties of pie than a Southern
bake-off. This year's pies are generously donated by Marie Callender's in
Daly City, as well as visitors and staff.

* WE CAN ALWAYS USE MORE PIES, SO PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO BRING ONE IN! *

This year, we're not only screening the US premiere of the documentary
"Porridge, Pulleys, and Pi," but we're also giving a film tribute to Albert
Einstein, who marks his 125th birthday on this year's Pi Day.

Pi Day has amassed its own rituals and folklore over the years, the most
significant of which is its own Pi Shrine. Find out where it lives by
joining our Pi Day procession!

So what is Pi?
Pi (¼) is the number you get when you divide the circumference of the circle
by its diameter. Pi is known as a transcendental and irrational number. It
is irrational because it can't be assigned a precise value. It's also a
magical number because it goes on forever.

We hope to see you there! This Sunday, starting at 1 p.m. in the McBean!

Feel free to write me at julies@exploratorium.edu with questions.

Sincerely,

Julie Suh
Public Programs Coordinator