Re: pinhole moon / earth interaction

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 11:49:11 PST

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole moon / earth interaction
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:49:11 -0800

Hi Peter

Lunar gravity tugs on the surface of the earth with a
force raising a tidal bulge. However the force creates an
acceleration of the surface of the earth, which creates a
velocity, which creates a displacement, So there is a time
delay between when the bulge is pulled on and when it
reaches its maximum height.

The rotation of the earth caries the tidal bulge forward
of the earth moon line during this time delay. The bulge
is actually a little in front of the moon and so pulls it
forward adding to its orbital energy and raising its
orbit.

Paul D