RE: Genetics Hands on Activities

From: Jennifer Bamesberger (jenniferbamesberger@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 18:06:07 PST

From: "Jennifer Bamesberger" <jenniferbamesberger@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Genetics Hands on Activities
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:06:07 -0800

For an excellent online resource with lots of well-designed, truly
interactive lessons and activities about genetics that are appropriate for
middle and high schoolers, visit http://www.dnai.org/index.htm. Check out
the Timeline with lots of photos, video clips, and experiment summaries. My
7th graders loved solving the mystery of the Romanovs which uses
mitochondrial DNA sequencing to identify the remains of the Russian family
and to prove whether or not Anna Anderson was really Anastasia. You have to
register, but it is well worth the effort - and free.

Another great web site at the University of Utah
http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/activities/ gives good instructions for
extracting DNA from any living material - we used liver and mixed green
salad (though not together, yuck.) Check out The Basics and Beyond
http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/basics/builddna/ to assemble a DNA
molecule, then transcribe and translate it into a protein. Try matching up
chromosomes in a real human karyotype
http://gslc.genetics.utah.edu/units/disorders/karyotype/flash/karyotype_try_it.swf.

Jen