electrolysis of water

From: Treena Joi (tjoi@stanfordalumni.org)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:38:12 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:38:12 -0800
From: Treena Joi <tjoi@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: electrolysis of water

Okay .. I'm trying to set up an electrolysis of water demo ... and I
can't for the life of me figure out what is going on!

I have two test tubes ... two electrodes (cheesy ones), water with a bit
of NaCl to help conduct the electricity ...

The problem is that the negative electrode is going full bore ...
releasing gas like a good little demo ...

the other electrode is doing nada .. no gas ... no bubbles whatsoever!

Shouldn't I have gas on both?

Doesn't the evolution of gas on one imply that my circuit is complete and
e- are flowing and splitting water? What am I missing? This is driving
me nuts!

Treena Joiful