Re: pinhole electrolysis of water

From: George Fosselius (gfosselius@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 08:37:39 PST

From: "George Fosselius" <gfosselius@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: pinhole electrolysis of water
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:37:39 -0800

The classic demo (yes I'm old enough to remember) was with a Hoffman
Apparatus
http://www.monroecc.edu/wusers/flanzafame/CLHoffman.pdf
using sulfuric acid (caution-warning-danger) which was dramatically added to
show the schlieren of mixing until the acid reached the electrodes and the
reaction started.
...because free chlorine forming at the anode does terrible things to
everything, including water, forming soluble products.
So sulfate is more behaved.
Even with stainless electrodes expect the free oxygen to turn around and
"rust" the stainless steel after a while.
I recommend sodium sulfate (I'm partial to the ocean) Paul recommends
Magnesium Sulfate (he's partial to the mountains.)
Have fun!
George Fosselius
reply to: george@mdsc-ic.org