Re: electrolysis of water

From: Jennifer Bamesberger (jenniferbamesberger@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 07:24:39 PST

From: "Jennifer Bamesberger" <jenniferbamesberger@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: electrolysis of water
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:24:39 -0800

I can't believe it! I was hoping to find a minute to post the very same question. Treena, I so appreciate your ability to ask all the pertinent questions.

Anyway, I split water and had the same perplexing results - tons of hydrogen and hardly any oxygen. I used about 1L of tap water, 5mL of NaCl, and 3 drops of vinegar. I have a fancy little electrolysis device that makes the process physically easy, but I don't know what the electrodes are made of. My students were sure that we had discovered a special form of oxygen-light water. I tried 3 times and got the same results. I'll use epsom salts and see if that changes anything.

Jen