Calcium chloride reactions in a bag

From: N. Gronert (ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 17:25:22 PST

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 17:25:22 -0800
From: "N. Gronert" <ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject: Calcium chloride reactions in a bag

So what other reactions? If you mix baking soda and calcium chloride
in a bag, my students notice that often one side of the plastic bag
is warm and the other side is cold. The calcium chloride and water
are exothermic the book says so produce the heat, but what reaction
produces the cold?
Thanks, Nancy