window splotches

From: Eric Plett (EPlett@serrahs.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 15:37:46 PDT

Subject: window splotches
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:37:46 -0700
From: "Eric Plett" <EPlett@serrahs.com>

Hello again,

Perhaps someone has already returned a response but I wanted to update my question a little based on yesterday's research.

Upon entering various keywords on Google (windows, polarization, cars, etc.) I found what may be the best explanation so far. The description of a "polka dot pattern" caught my eye. The explanation was perhaps a little out of my normal realm of expertise and certainly not completely explained but to the best of my understanding . . . Thin layers of aluminum coatings are added to the window and a polarized filter reveals an interference pattern. A more expensive vehicle as a better application of the aluminum thus a smaller, more consistent pattern.

Is this correct? Please help if you can. Thanks, Eric Plett.