van de graff generators

From: Mike Schulist (schulist@marin.k12.ca.us)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 09:57:50 PDT

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:57:50 -0700
From: Mike Schulist <schulist@marin.k12.ca.us>
Subject: van de graff generators

We have an old van de graff generator that has worked well for me in
the past. However, the belt finally eroded and needed to be
replaced. With the new belt in, it produces barely any charge at
all. I've tried two different new belts, and both failed to produce
a significant charge. I left the machine on for 4 or 5 minutes, but
charge was not produced. I used the "powdery" side of the belt
facing in. I also tried the belt at a variety of speeds. Does
anyone have any suggestions about how to get a new belt to work in an
old van de graff generator? Thank you in advance!

Mike Schulist
Miller Creek Middle School