vertical accelerometers

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@esuhsd.org)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 11:57:18 PDT

Subject:  vertical accelerometers
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:57:18 -0700
From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@esuhsd.org>

Damon,
We made our accelerometers from the inside "rubber band" from golf balls
and fishing weights, a piece of cardboard, a ziplock bag, a washer,
piece of string, copy of a protractor and a rubberband.

We used the wrap from inside a golf ball (getting harder to find balls
made this way-and takes a long time to get the outside coating off!)
because it is stretchier than a rubber band. We attached a wide "V" of
it with 4 weights hanging off and the kids draw an arch in every
direction the weight pulls the band to. We repeat the process with 3, 2
and 1 weight. We have found that coloring these archs in wide rainbow
stripes, rather than just making lines, makes them more readible at
multiple g's
;^)
On the back side of the cardboard goes the copy of the protractor,
upside down, with the washer suspended on a string in the middle for
angle measurements.
The ziplock bag holds their pencil and keeps their assignment dry on the
water rides. The rubberband keeps the accelorometer on their arms.
I won't admit how many years it took until I figured out that I could
put their tickets inside the bag too...
Most of the vertical accelerometers I've seen consist of a plastic tube
spring and fishing weight.
Have fun!

Heidi Strahm Black
Science Fair Coordinator
East Side Union HSD
408-347-6563

does anyone use something to measure vertical acceleration which is easy
(low cost & time) to fabricate?