heat lightning

From: ROY MAYEDA (roymayeda@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 20:00:40 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: ROY MAYEDA <roymayeda@yahoo.com>
Subject: heat lightning

Hi all.

Question: Here in the Northern Plains, I've heard some
lightning discharges referred to as "heat lightning".
I was finally shown what they were talking about, and
it appears to be discharges between clouds. What
seemed odd was that even though it was occurring
directly overhead, we did not hear thunder from it. I
am puzzled as to why this was so. Any thoughts?
(Still not 100% sure why the name "heat lightning" is
used -- it's pretty hot any time we get thunderstorms
-- which should be every few days all the way until
fall.)

Roy Mayeda