Shockin Solenoids

From: Jon Christensen (jonnchristensen@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 14:40:44 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jon Christensen <jonnchristensen@yahoo.com>
Subject: Shockin Solenoids

Hi Pinholers,

Here's a question for you.

This is the first time I have experienced it,
althought maybe I should have guessed it would happen.
 My physics class was mapping the magnetic field of a
solenoid as usual, but this time we were using a AA
Battery for the power source, instead of a pasco
computer interface power source. One of the student's
reported that they got shocked. I was in disbelief
until I got shocked as well.

It appears that the AA battery can create a large
enough current through the solenoid so that when the
battery is detached, the decaying magnetic field
creates a much higher voltage than the supplied 1.5v.

Question #1: Using a standard lab solenoid (r=~3cm,
~300turns) what type of voltages can be achieved when
the coil is disconeced?

Question #2: Is this how a coil works in a car engine
to produce the voltage required to make the spark plug
spark?

thanks!
Jon

---