plate tectonics/physics question

From: Treena Joi (tjoi@stanfordalumni.org)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 10:49:50 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:49:50 -0700
From: Treena Joi <tjoi@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: plate tectonics/physics question

I am wondering what realtionships I can draw between physics and the movement
of earth's
paltes - for every action, equal and opposite reaction - okay, but what other
connections can I
draw? I am also interested in how plate movement is measured - specifically,
what is the point
of reference for making such estimates of the rate of movement of the plates?
find a point with
an identifying mark and essentially GPS it? Seems silly to ask, but I would
like to answer from a
position of knowledge - teaching summer school this summer

Also, there is the CD/balloon air racer thing - I will be doing that and I
don't want to miss any
concepts - decreased resistance with the air, friction decreases as the
outside force acting to
stop the glide - this is not my strong suit - so, I put my ignorance out there
for all to see - any
help appreciated

thanks

Treena Joiful