Re: pinhole plate tectonics/physics question

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 13:36:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:36:28 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole plate tectonics/physics question

Hi Treena

Just this last weekend I saw a geologist making a precise GPS measurement
of the location of a summit in the White Mountains of California. Good to a
few millimeters probably. They make the measurements every year (and in
some places with permanent monuments sevral times an hour to watch the
plate move. several stations let you watch the plate rotate and compress.

In the old days they used surveying tools to measure the locations of the
plates.

You can also use radiotelescopes to measure plate motions. One radio
telescope on the North American plate combines its data with a telescope in
the netherlands or Australia, and by looking for interference fringes in
the radio signal they measure the motion of the plate directly. Plates move
at about the rate that your fingernails grow from 2 to 20 cm a year.

Paul D