density and jukebox bubbles

From: Irene Yun (ireneyun@stanfordalumni.org)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 16:54:24 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:54:24 -0700
From: Irene Yun <ireneyun@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: density and jukebox bubbles

I was at a bar last night and noticed that in the jukebox beside me (one with
bubbler tubes
going up the sides) the bubbles got SMALLER as they rose up the tube. In my
understanding of
density, bubbles should get larger with the reduction in air pressure as they
rise - and in that
short a tube (3 feet), I didn't think their volume would change much anyway.
The bubbles I
looked at last night were reduced in volume by almost 5 times their original
size. Any clues
what's going on or was I just too drunk to see clearly?

Irene
PS. Thanks to all the TI staff for an amzing 4 weeks!