Opening at Lighthouse Charter Academy

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 15:07:45 PDT

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Opening at Lighthouse Charter Academy

Passing this on. Since I've never seen a format like this I'm including the email address in case this turns into a bunch of computer gibberish. Lighthouse Charter School www.lighthousecharter.org

With firm handshake,
Raleigh

1920 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612 510-271-8801 www.lighthousecharter.org

CORE TEACHING POSITIONS AVAILABLE – 2004 – 2005 School Year

1st Grade Core Teacher

2nd Grade Core Teacher

6th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher

6th Grade Math/Science Teacher

7th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher

Lighthouse Community Charter School is a small, public charter school located in downtown Oakland. Committed to preparing students for college or a career of their choice, Lighthouse utilizes the Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound model of teaching and learning. We believe that schools are only as strong and effective as their teaching faculty and that we can only achieve our mission when teachers are deeply engaged in learning, collaboration, and collective responsibility for our students. At Lighthouse, we continuously work to create a professional environment that is marked by professional autonomy. Teachers collaborate to create curriculum and assessments, work together to refine pedagogy, and are supported by administrators and each other through ongoing observation, conferring, and professional development.

SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS:

· Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound, a method of teaching and learning that engages students in in-depth, long-term projects that integrate fieldwork and the use of experts

· School-wide literacy programs: California Early Language and Literacy (CELL) and Extended Language and Literacy (EXLL)

· Multiple structures for creating strong school culture, including Guiding Principles, Buddy Time, and Conflict Resolution

· Authentic assessment methods including portfolios and Expos of Student Work

· Teachers “loop” with their students for two years in the lower house (K – 5) and three years in the middle house (6 – 8)

· Scheduled teacher collaboration and planning time during the school day and on and off-site professional development

· Highly involved families and community partners

RESPONSIBILITIES:

· Actively participate in continuing to grow an exemplary urban charter school

· Design, plan, and implement effective, grade-level curriculum integrating skills and content.

· Teach and facilitate an “advisory” (6 – 8th grades only)

· Participate in all professional development activities, including four-weeks of Professional Development Institutes throughout the year

· Collaborate effectively with members of the school community (grade-level, loop-level, school-wide)

· Meet with families three times per year to discuss student progress

QUALIFICATIONS:

· B.A. or B.S. required, Masters Degree preferred, Appropriate California Credential required

· At least two years teaching experience required

· Commitment to diverse, urban populations

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Send, email, or fax the following: Résumé, two recommendations, a Statement of Teaching Philosophy that describes how you believe students best learn, and a Letter of Intent that addresses the following questions: Why are you a good fit for Lighthouse? Why is Lighthouse a good fit for you?

Stephen Sexton, Director of Instruction c/o Lighthouse Community Charter School

1920 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612

Fax: (510) 271-8803 Email: steve@lighthousecharter.org