Re: pinhole Ozone Smell

From: Gilles Poitras (gpoitras@ggu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 08:36:41 PDT

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:36:41 -0700
From: "Gilles Poitras" <gpoitras@ggu.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Ozone Smell

>>> zeke_kossover@yahoo.com - 9/18/04 2:10 PM >>>

>> Why do you think that? Most sources I have found indicate that ozone has a distinct smell.

I did further checking. My initial statement was based on and statement by a co-worker and some web sites that were frankly wrong. Perhaps this is due to a confusion with regular oxygen which is odorless.

>>> gruth@leadershiphigh.org - 9/17/04 9:33 PM >>>
OK, I'll try to respond to the possessed Ionic Breeze air purifier.

>> Also, I don't think ozone is odorless. My memory both from reading & BART stations is that it has a sharp, metallic-y smell. But I don't remember it smelling at all like bleach.

Some information I have recently found compares it to bleach or a metallic smell.

In any case I am no longer running my filter much when I am home. Running it when I am at work is doing a good job of reducing the dust levels. Ozone is something you don't want to be breathing.

http://www.ehrs.columbia.edu/IndoorAirQuality.html

>>> pauld@exploratorium.edu - 9/19/04 9:13 AM >>>
I Worked with ozone in a research project.

>> PS During our research we discovered tthat ozone could pass right through teflon, that was a surprise since we were using a teflon liner to keep the ozone from reacting with the metal walls of our container.

Now that is cool!!!!