Re: pinhole Bleach like oder and ionic air purifiers

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 09:13:15 PDT

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Bleach like oder and ionic air purifiers
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:13:15 -0700

I Worked with ozone in a research project.

The device we used to produce ozone was very much like the
ionic breeze air purifier.

My wife has a simiilar high voltage air purifier in the
kitchen and whe it is operating on HIGH I can smell the
ozone.

Ozone is not odorless to me.

To many people it has a bleach-like odor.

Ozone is one component of the pollution index, perhaps the
purifier plus the background ozone raises the
concentration above the detection threshold.

PS During our research we discovered tthat ozone could
pass right through teflon, that was a surprise since we
were using a teflon liner to keep the ozone from reacting
with the metal walls of our container.

Paul D