Bottling Ecosystems

From: Frank McNutt (frankmcnutt@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 15:25:48 PDT

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Frank McNutt <frankmcnutt@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Bottling Ecosystems

All,
  This weekend I need to gather the living ingredients
of the Bottling Ecosystems investigation found in Holt
Environmental Science text, field activities and
projects guide, chapter 3. I am planning to go to a
local creek and 'rob'/collect a variety of different
living organisms and matter sufficient to 'supply' the
15 or 16 eco bottle setups that my class will work on
this Monday.
  The list of living organisms listed in the guide
includes: Elodea (which we have plenty of at our
school), Vallisneria, Myriophyllum, Paramecium,
Daphnia. A colleague has advised me how we might get
some paramecia and daphnia. My question(s) are these:
   What danger(s) might I (or my students) face by NOT
inventorying all that we put into the systems? By
'robbing' the creek, will I get 'stuff' that may
'kill' our ecosystems before they develop? I do not
anticipate any real danger except that our
'experiment' will have invested in it a lot of energy
and time and I would like a reasonable return on that
'investment'. ANY words of wisdom or experience would
be appreciated.
  Too, where can I 'get' some Myriophyllum and
Vallisneria?

  Frank McNutt
  San Lorenzo High School
  (510) 317-3100  or personal cell (415) 309-9973
  fmcnutt@slzusd.org

=====