Fw: Variables

From: emuller (emuller@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 22:42:16 PDT

From: "emuller" <emuller@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Fw: Variables
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:42:16 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: brian wilson
To: emuller@exploratorium.edu
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 9:56 PM
Subject: pinhole listserve item

Hi Eric,
I wanted to post this on the pinhole listserve, but I haven't been able to get a password and I can't figure out the help system (I've tried). So could you please post it for me? Thanks - Brian Wilson
Here's a simple and different way of teaching variables and the scientific method: www.arctur.us/polyline. Students enter numbers into six variables and the program generates a drawing based on the numbers. Students then determine what each variable controls. There's no text on the site, but I have students relate their work to making observations, creating hypotheses, seeing patterns, and testing their hypotheses. To prove they know what each variable controls, they must make specific shapes (triangle, square, star, etc.). This is based on a program used in the famous Doug Kirkpatrick's class. The source code is also posted on the site.

- Brian Wilson. You can send questions to me: briantrentw@yahoo.com.