Mysterious thing

From: bpittenger (bpittenger@earthtones.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 07:13:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:13:44 -0400
From: "bpittenger" <bpittenger@earthtones.com>
Subject: Mysterious thing

I certainly am no expert in such things, except to the extent that I have collected a few of the cousins of this organism for gastronomic pleasure.

I hope we get another update photo or two.

Clearly a fungus. From the first photo I thought ?slime mold? But from the second picture it looks like a morel, which is a type of sac fungi. Because of the small cap, I am JUST GUESSING:

Ascomycetes > Discomycetes > Pezizales > Morchellaceae > Morchella

Morchella semilibera

Here are two key references:
http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/morels/index.html
http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/morchella_semilibera.html