Re: mystery thing

From: Melissa Graviss (mgraviss@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 07:02:42 PDT

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Melissa Graviss <mgraviss@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: mystery thing

Hi John and pinholers,

I'd like to weigh in on the beautiful fungus photos
you posted from your lawn. All of them look like some
sort of club fungus or stinkhorn. Check out
"Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora. Here's a
quote: "Morels have also been confused inexplicably
with stinkhorns (Phallus- [yes, that's the genus
name]) perhaps b/c of their similar shape. The head
of a fresh Phallus, however, is coated with a stinky,
sticky spore slime and there is a sack or vulva at the
base of the stalk."

 If you see another one, observe it for a while and
see if the "egg" explodes into a lacy ball or
something that looks like an octopus. That would make
it a stinkhorn.

I am no expert but I have collected and eaten morels
in California. This does not look like a morel to me.
 In familly Morchella there are black (elata), yellow
(esculenta) and white morels (deliciosa) but no purple
that I'm aware of and morels have the stalk in the
ground, not a "skirt". There are, by the way, false
morels in family Gyromitra which, like morels, are
poisonous- even deadly- if eaten raw but fine if
cooked.

It seems like you have a fascinating ecosystem on your
lawn. Enjoy!
Melissa Graviss