Re: Mysterious Thing

From: John or Jan Lahr (johnjan@lahr.org)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 13:00:56 PDT

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:00:56 -0600
From: John or Jan Lahr <johnjan@lahr.org>
Subject: Re:  Mysterious Thing

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the "thing" that I found growing in my front
yard! I've posted some added pictures here:
http://jclahr.com/science/biology/
along with a message kindly send by Vera Evenson of the Denver Botanic
Gardens. Karen Schoen and Melissa Graviss also identified it correctly.

Prior to their messages I was leaning toward Raleigh's suggestion that it
had "escaped from a school cafeteria, perhaps on 'mystery meat' day."

The answer is that it's a stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus, mushroom! I had
no idea that a mushroom could look like an egg prior to "sprouting."

Cheers,
John