Is burning sulfur safe?

From: Abbott, Franklin R (FABBOTT@houstonisd.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 08:15:51 PST

Subject: Is burning sulfur safe?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:15:51 -0600
From: "Abbott, Franklin R" <FABBOTT@houstonisd.org>

I have my 6th grade students doing "mini lessons" to demonstrate physical and chemical changes. One group found an activity in a chemistry activities book that requires them to burn a small amount of powdered sulfur while holding an inverted glass over it. The glass has a small flower taped in it. The result is a "bleached" flower. They are then to dip the bleached flower into hydrogen peroxide to restore the color. How safe is this? I don't have a fume hood. Is this something that the kids could do safely? Could/should this be done safely outdoors (if at all)?

Frank Abbott
Pershing Middle School
Houston, TX