Re: pinhole Is burning sulfur safe?

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 19:02:02 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:02:02 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole Is burning sulfur safe?

Burning S produces SO2, which can then react to form SO3. Both of
these gases are strong irritants, because they'll dissolve in water
(ie, in the nose or mouth or lungs) to form sulfurous or sulfuric
acid. I definitely wouldn't do this in an enclosed space like a
classroom. I'm not sure if it's OK to do outside -- I'd guess it's
probably OK, especially if you the teacher light the sulfur on fire
(you may need a portable burner to get it to burn).

I looked up this experiment in the old "Sourcebook for the Physical
Sciences" and it states that a flower won't completely bleach out,
but will rather turn a lighter, faded color. It also warns that using
household H2O2 (3%) may take a long time, adn recommends using a
higher concentration H2O2 -- however, I'd be weary of having any
students handle hydrogen peroxide at greater than 3%.

- Geoff