Mini lesson plan

From: bpittenger (bpittenger@earthtones.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 06:42:03 PST

Date: Fri,  3 Dec 2004 09:42:03 -0500
From: "bpittenger" <bpittenger@earthtones.com>
Subject: Mini lesson plan

Hugh,

At CSTA this year I attended a great workshop on scientific illustration, [run by Lorie Topinka and Diane T. Sands from the California Academy of Sciences]. We did a great warm-up where we sketched a partner without looking at our papers as we sketched. This exercise then lead into further sketches and illustration exercises using natural objects, with a good rubric [developed by Laurie Topinka]. I think this warm-up exercise might make a great short lesson. If you would like to see the rubric I can forward it to you as an attachment. However, we didn't apply the rubric on the first sketch - we used it for the more detailed later sketches.

Everyone,

I found this to be an invaluable set of exercises to strengthen the students' ability to observe and record their observations. I gathered some scientific illustrations to show my students, then used this series of exercises and found them to be a great way to get the students beyond basic [poor] line drawing. Their attention to detail improved as well as their drawings. I intend to use it as my opening unit next year. Maybe we could have this as a Saturday workshop!!

Ben Pittenger

Sent via the WebMail system at earthtones.com