Large Magnitude Earthquakes

From: Rebecah Davis (rdavis@ebfas.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 13:03:29 PST

From: Rebecah Davis <rdavis@ebfas.org>
Subject: Large Magnitude Earthquakes
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:03:29 -0800

I have a question about earthquakes. My old textbook said that there
has never been an earthquake recorded with a magnitude over 9.0. But my
new textbook says that the 1923 Tokyo earthquake was 9.2 and the 1960
Chile earthquake was 9.5. Is this true? I (going on the information in
the old textbook) told my students that there has never been a
magnitude 9.0, and then they (being the smart alecs they are) pointed
out that the book said I was wrong.

So which is it?

A confused,
Rebecah Davis

"The tragedy of science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an
ugly fact."

--TH Huxley