Re: pinhole Large Magnitude Earthquakes

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 13:12:29 PST

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Large Magnitude Earthquakes
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:12:29 -0800

Hi Rebecah

There are several different Magnitudes used to report
earthquakes.
http://www.msu.edu/~fujita/earthquake/bigquake.html#magnitudes

The one used in the last 30 years is Mw , the moment
magnitude
according to this scale the great Chilean earthquake of
1960 was magnitude 9.6

http://www.msu.edu/~fujita/earthquake/bigquake.html

however using the older scales
this same earthquake was magnitude 7.9 or 8.5

so using the older earthquake magnitude scales based on
ground motion there were no magnitude 9 earthquakes
however using the modern energy based scale there have
been magnitude 9's.

Paul D